Posted on Aug 24, 2012
Start finding answers to your genealogy questions in 30 seconds.
What is MyGenShare?
MyGenShare.com is a comprehensive digital library for genealogists. The digital library's million-plus indexed resources includes articles, eBooks, ePeriodicals, historical maps, podcasts, slideshows, videos, a genealogy links directory, and genealogy search engines.
MyGenShare is not a database full of records and names. It is the most extensive collection of genealogy how-to resources anywhere on the internet. Take me to MyGenShare homepage.
What can MyGenShare do for me?
Expect MyGenShare to deliver answers to your genealogy questions. MyGenShare represents the combined knowledge and experience of thousands of genealogists and family historians. MyGenShare is your personal assistant and counselor when you are at home, the library, the courthouse, outdoors or with others.
Use the SEARCH MYGENSHARE on the home page to start finding resources you can use. Enter your search term, choose All or one of the content types, click the search arrow, and review the search results. Start your search.
Spend ten minutes in MyGenShare and save yourself hours in research time. Click here to get started.
How can I learn to quickly access MyGenShare resources?
MyGenShare has created a series of instructional videos to help you quickly access the various resources. You will also find instructional videos throughout MyGenShare. To help you begin, view "Home Page Introduction" found on the homepage under the heading "How to Use MyGenShare.com." Start your learning experience.
What resources are available on MyGenShare.com?
The following is an overview of each content type
- Library Shelf Collection. Access millions of answers through our extensive article collection representing the knowledge of many genealogists in over 3,000 topics.
- eMedia Collection. Access all training videos, slideshows, images, and podcast tutorials covering hundreds of topics that matter most to the family historian.
- Historical Maps Collection. Access the complete interactive digital collection of high-resolution maps and images spanning more than 500 years, from before the sixteenth century through the early twentieth century.
- MyGenShare Free. View a sampling of articles, videos, slideshows, podcasts, maps, and resource guides that are public domain or copy permitted, and examples of resources for genealogists and family historians.
- MyGenShare Links Directory. Find over 1.5 million up-to-date links to the Internet’s genealogical treasure trove of content found on popular to obscure websites.
- MyGenShare Genealogy Search Engines. These are the most comprehensive genealogy specific internet search engines compiling relevant results from among thousands of genealogy and family history web properties.
- Barry's Blog on Genealogy. Barry’s motto is “Sharing Information to Join Generations.” Access articles, videos, slideshows, and podcasts.
What do others say about MyGenShare?
In July 2012, selected genealogists gained access to test MyGenShare resources and provided comments on how to improve the user experience. MyGenShare overwhelmingly received a thumbs up as a genealogy researcher's resource. Some of the comments representative of the experience genealogists had were:
- "MyGenShare.com can help you to have the knowledge you need to be a better genealogist; help you find places to search you didn't know existed. It's a resource I can depend on to help me with all aspects of my research." Annella
- "Full service genealogical resource center." James
- It's an unbelievable collection of how-to resources and answers for genealogical questions. Patty
- "It's nice to finally have one place where I can get access to resources and answers to my questions when I need them." Karen
- "MyGenShare is unique compared to other sites and has the best content and is easy to use for all levels of genealogists." Pam
- "It is a very thorough online library for persons wanting help in HOW to do genealogical research, WHERE to find resource aids online, and HOW to organize and share research findings using a variety of tools and methods that are appropriate to today's technology. Do not expect it to find documents and family trees for specific ancestors; there are other sites that do that." Beverly
What's the cost?
You can access portions of MyGenShare content for free or choose from several subscription offerings. When it comes to choice, value, and convenience, MyGenShare Premium subscription provides site-wide access to over one-million indexed resources covering 3,000-plus topics. Compare your options.
Take MyGenShare for a test drive. Use the 7-day free trial to access the premium content and start finding answers in seconds. If MyGenShare doesn’t meet your expectations, simply click cancel in My Account. It's that easy.
Get site-wide access for less than $1 a week with the introductory offer of 10% off. Compare MyGenShare genealogy resources.
Special Offer: Get 10% off MyGenShare Premium Subscription (Yearly). USE CODE: mgs1yr0915. Expires 9/15/12.